The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Five or more years of reporting experience at a daily newspaper, television station or online news agency, with a proven ability in reporting and writing; a background covering professional basketball, business and is preferred
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience through blogging, social media and online comments
- Demonstrated experience breaking news in a beat environment in real time across multiple platforms
- Mastery of all relevant social media platforms and experience with search engine optimization (SEO) practices
- The ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- An understanding of the imperatives of multiple platforms (print, mobile, Internet, etc.) and a proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
- Experience in taking photographs, producing short videos and posting them to the web and other internal production systems
- An understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms such as a content management system, smartphones, and more
- The ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
- An understanding of and willingness to remain informed about industry advances and to proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences
The RoleYou’ll be the expert on LeBron James and what he means to Northeast Ohio, working from home, the road, coffee shops and our Cleveland office, analyzing and reporting on James’ personal sports statistics, his mentoring of younger players and his relationship with his coaches as well as his non-basketball forays in business, entertainment and other enterprises. We are looking for someone who can react to breaking news quickly and with skill, and who is resourceful in finding information about a sports star who often is inaccessible
We are looking to develop an entirely new approach to game coverage, providing information in the most accessible format possible, so your creativity will be key in designing the new coverage.
Most of your time will be spent interviewing and interacting with sources; monitoring social media streams for breaking news; creating videos of yourself, players, and coaches to post; writing blog posts; and creating in-depth stories.
You’ll also appear regularly on a variety of video shows produced by the Northeast Ohio Media Group, where you will engage with the audience in dissecting James’ on-court performance and handicapping upcoming contests. On-air experience would be helpful, but at a minimum you need to be excited to talk about the team, and able to provide some level of extemporaneous opinion and analysis as an expert on the topic.
Some of your specific responsibilities will include:
- Gathering information and writing journalistically sound news elements for use across multiple media platforms
- Learning and employing techniques for effective digital "beat-blogging" reporting across all platforms including:
- Frequent, incremental posting throughout the day
- Story aggregation and topical link-posting
- Monitoring and engaging in reader comment streams on impact pages
- Elevating comments into new posts when appropriate
- Interacting on social media platforms with story shares, objective commentary, promotion of your topic and our content
- Understanding and employing the means for monitoring audience interest and competitors’ posting on your topic, including setting up Google alerts, Twitter and RSS feeds
- Providing opinion and analysis as the authoritative voice for Cavaliers basketball coverage
- Using hardware, software and cloud-based equipment and systems for direct-to-web production and engagement
- Making appearances on television and radio as a team expert
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you’ll need to have experience in major professional or college reporting, general news reporting with a history of mining public records for information as well as refined digital skills. You will come into the role ready to be a digital leader, particularly in social media, and already trained in the use of all relevant platforms.
We are looking for someone who can convey the excitement generated by of one of the country's highest-profile athletes and stay on top of news related to him and his performance. Building readership in a competitive environment will require that you continually strive to be the fastest and best at breaking news. If you have strong sports- and news-writing experience, thrive on competition, and have a hunger to work on a premier beat in a one of the nation's great sports cities, then we want to hear from you!